An innovative past and promising future.
An Innovative Past and Promising Future
The BDM IT Solutions Inc. team is proud of our storied history and innovative culture. From showcasing the first automated pharmacy system in the 1970s, to taking part in the initial HL7 working sessions in 1989, we are continually pushing the boundaries on how technology can empower the next generation of healthcare providers. With the launch of our AXIS platform, we are in the midst of writing the next chapter of BDM IT Solutions Inc. history.
Pioneer in Innovative Technology
- 1968 - BDM Information Systems Ltd. was founded with the idea that hospital workflows could be computerized, and designed their first product for hospital pharmacies.
- 1970 - ASHP Clinical meeting BDM founders present a paper on computerization and demonstrate the first automated pharmacy system ever exhibited at the ASHP meeting.
- 1973 - Entered into a development contract with Spear Medical Systems to bring the product to maturity.
- 1977 - A retail version of the pharmacy system was launched.
- 1978 - BDM interfaces its pharmacy system to a hospital mainframe for the purpose of receiving admitting information and sending billing information.
- 1979 - Sales and support centres opened in both in U.S. and Canada.
80’s Seeds of BDM’s leadership in interoperability were rooted
- 1980 - BDM Pharmacy was redesigned as a hospital version to run on larger microcomputers.
- 1985 - A major Health Maintenance Organization in the United States contracted BDM for the provision of hardware and custom software designed for their ambulatory care facilities across the United States. Located in 13 major cities these systems were linked via telecommunication to multiple dispensing sites.
- 1986 - Long Term Care Facility Management System designed.
- 1989 - BDM developed and installed software for the Government of Saskatchewan point of sale terminals to capture and transfer pharmacy data between the Pharmacy and Saskatchewan Health central database.
- 1989 - Interfaces to Micromedex drug databases and Baxter ATC added to the list of interfaces in addition to ADT and Billing interfaces now being standard for all hospital installations.
- 1989 - Barcode technology application added for patient charging.
- 1989 - Introduction of Hand-Held Ordering Device download to the Pharmacy system to produce purchase orders for wholesale ordering.
- 1989 - BDM was part of the initial HL7 working sessions focused on the adoption a healthcare specific protocol for systems integration within healthcare.
90’s The Decade of Integration
- 1991 - Shared Data Research (SDR) national user survey awards BDM pharmacy top rating for hospitals with 500 beds or more.
- 1991 - Transition to HL7 standard for interfaces.
- 1991 - Online adjudication implemented at one of the largest HMO’s in U.S with over 25 dispensing sites.
- 1991 - Medispan DTMS clinical database added to the list of clinical interfaces.
- 1991 - Pyxis Medstation integration completed.
- 1995 - New Windows client/server product released.
- 1996 - MedSelect by Diebold add to the list of interfaces installed.
- 1998 - AHI RxObot and Clintec Automix/Micromix compounding device added to installed interfaces.
- 1999 - Certification complete for online adjudication of medication claims by B.C. Ministry of Health’s PharmaNet system.
2000 Recognition and Change
- 2000 - Y2K passes without an issue.
- 2001-2008 - BDM Pharmacy recognized #1 in Klas.
- 2002 - Biometrics introduced to further enhance security.
- 2002 - BDM releases HIPAA compliant version of the online adjudication module.
- 2002 - BDM was acquired by GE Medical Systems Information Technologies.
- 2004 - CPOE interface live at first site.
- 2007 - Medication Administration module installed at first site, a mobile barcode enabled bedside point-of-care application that provides electronic verification and record of the medication administration process.
- 2009 - eFulfillment module added for ambulatory sites.
- 2011 - Product translated to French for installation in Quebec.
- 2011 - Supporting EDI832 Price updates and EDI850 PO export files from drug wholesalers.
- 2011 - Conversions to ICD10 and NCPDP VD.0 standard.
- 2013 - BDM IT Solutions Inc purchases the Centricity Pharmacy business and operations from the General Electric (GE) Company.
- 2014 - Leveraging advancements in technology, BDM IT Solutions Inc launches the next generation AXIS platform.